Home   Forums   Coin Prices   Gold & Silver Markets   Gold Weight Value Chart   Gear    Advertising   

Recent finds made by Coinhunting.Net Members.

Click HERE to register at Coinhunting.Net for access to our Members Only forums:

Members Forum, New Members Forum, Potential Coin Hunting Sites & Metal Detector Technology Forum.

Include your name, city, state and username preference.

(check your spam email folder for the confirmation email)

For the best price on your scrap gold and silver check out M&M Gold Exchange!

See what your finds are worth on eBay today. Click here.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 1ST CACHE??? by Olde Texas

1ST CACHE??? by Olde Texas 27 May 2013 22:31 #557

• Coin Magnet
  • Administrator
  • Keep Your Coil To The Soil
  • Thank you received: 7
Back about 30 years ago I was hunting an old plantation house site with a large coil Straight TR-no discrimination Garrett detector! Seeing a very large Oak Tree maybe a 150 years old I decided to hunt around it! About 2 feet from the tree, I received a very large signal! As I have recovered a lot of large junk, I really did not pay attention to it but decided on 2nd thought to dig it anyway! Well at about one and a half feet down, large chunks of an old crock pot started coming up! I immediately slowed down and got on both knees and started retrieving all the pottery piece by piece! I rechecked the hole and the large signal was still there! Expecting to see all the gold and silver coins any second I continued to dig further down with my heart pounding and I started to tremble!! Below the broken pottery I started to see the fringes of something large made either of brass or copper. Digging very carefully I could see that maybe it was the top to a box...........................Sorry but I lost track of time and need to get to my DR.'s apointment...........will finish this story when I get back!.............Joe
The administrator has disabled public write access.

1ST CACHE??? by Olde Texas 27 May 2013 22:32 #558

• Coin Magnet
  • Administrator
  • Keep Your Coil To The Soil
  • Thank you received: 7
.......................Well back to my story...................after careful digging I see all the 4 corners of a top of a box and it seemed to have separated from the rest of the box! Removing the lid from the hole and I again scan the hole and get............................................................................................................................................................................................................................NOTHING.................I even hand scooped all the loose dirt out of the hole and NOTHING! I enlarged the hole so I can stick the coil totally down the hole and still got NOTHING! To make sure I even dug out at least 6 inches more of the dirt but again NOTHING! So calming down I examined the lid and it turned out to be an old crumpled copper tray which was upside down in the hole! In my haste I did not really check all the dirt that came out of the hole and it may have been an old trash pit! I found a lot of really old broken glass besides the broken crock pot. I found some old small cork bottles and a Soda bottle that had a patent date in the 1920's! Also found some old buttons and some old door cabinet type latches. I tried to find all the pieces to the crock pot but a lot of it was missing! In a previous hunt I found most of the pieces of an old Spice Shaving Mug which I still have, after gluing it all back together! Well...........Also found some kid caches! One was about 8 silver coins and the most was 17 silver coins. These are buried along with kid stuff such as marbles or old toy guns or toy Army Men!.......................Good Luck to all............HH.....Joe
The administrator has disabled public write access.