Home   Forums   Coin Prices   Gold & Silver Markets   Gold Weight Value Chart   Gear    Advertising   

Recent finds made by Coinhunting.Net Members.

Click HERE to register at Coinhunting.Net for access to our Members Only forums:

Members Forum, New Members Forum, Potential Coin Hunting Sites & Metal Detector Technology Forum.

Include your name, city, state and username preference.

(check your spam email folder for the confirmation email)

For the best price on your scrap gold and silver check out M&M Gold Exchange!

See what your finds are worth on eBay today. Click here.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Question.

Question. 25 Mar 2014 15:14 #1217

• bwade225
Ok, I see lots of great coins being found on here and I know there isn't an exact answer to my question. But, what kind of depths are they being found? I know the machine I have isn't going to find as many deep coins as a more advanced unit. I am able to find clad coins at 4-5 inches deep. So is there any hope in finding some of these great old coins ? I know there is many variables to consider but do you find old coins as shallow as that ( on a regular basis ) ?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Question. 25 Mar 2014 17:34 #1218

• Coin Magnet
  • Administrator
  • Keep Your Coil To The Soil
  • Thank you received: 7
We hunt farm fields almost exclusively in the spring and fall so coins can be on top of the ground, 8 inches or more deep or anywhere in between. At the spot we are hunting now we have found a barber dime, V nickel and several Indians on top fully exposed. I found one dime on edge on top. I saw the rim sticking out after I detected it. On average I would say most to the coins we found here were only 2 to 4 inches deep.

Do you research and get permission to hunt the fields where the old houses, schools or churches, ect were and you will find old coins!
Last Edit: 25 Mar 2014 17:36 by Coin Magnet.

Question. 25 Mar 2014 20:06 #1219

• bwade225
Thats good news. sounds like I should be able to find some. Then I can upgrade machines and go at my spots again covering the deeper targets. My wife will LOVE that news... :whistle:

Question. 25 Mar 2014 21:00 #1220

• Coin Magnet
  • Administrator
  • Keep Your Coil To The Soil
  • Thank you received: 7
Yes it is! As your finds grow and you lean more about your detector you may want to upgrade down the road. Ace 250s are good machines and get a lot of depth!

Question. 26 Mar 2016 23:27 #1459

• Au Ranger
I have seen old coins on top of the ground and others at extreme depths!! For the coins at a shallow depth....I would hunt areas where there are slopes where the water run-off causes erosion and exposes the coins....old farm fields are also good since they get tilled and although this process buries some coins...it also brings some coins into shallow depths! Also try any construction projects since they always seem to disturb the ground for the building process! Good Luck