Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Never ending hole

Never ending hole 01 Jul 2014 13:34 #1334

• dwunder
I'm pretty new to this, so please bear with my inexperience.

There are times when I have been out MD and get a good high pitched tone. I will do my best to center my target and then dig a preliminary hole about 3-4 inches. (no sense in digging a mineshaft if I don't have to ....right?) Anyway, sometimes the hole will get deeper and deeper up to about 10 or 11 inches and the signal will still be there in the center. Is it worth pursuing past this point or is the object I am detecting obviously pretty large and not a coin giving a signal at that depth? Usually when this happens I draw a proverbial line in sand (hole) and reverse excavation if I have not unearthed whatever is giving me the signal. What do you guys do when that happens?

Many thanks!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Never ending hole 01 Jul 2014 22:15 #1336

• Coin Magnet
  • Administrator
  • Keep Your Coil To The Soil
  • Thank you received: 7
dwunder wrote:
I'm pretty new to this, so please bear with my inexperience.

There are times when I have been out MD and get a good high pitched tone. I will do my best to center my target and then dig a preliminary hole about 3-4 inches. (no sense in digging a mineshaft if I don't have to ....right?) Anyway, sometimes the hole will get deeper and deeper up to about 10 or 11 inches and the signal will still be there in the center. Is it worth pursuing past this point or is the object I am detecting obviously pretty large and not a coin giving a signal at that depth? Usually when this happens I draw a proverbial line in sand (hole) and reverse excavation if I have not unearthed whatever is giving me the signal. What do you guys do when that happens?

Many thanks!

What is the brand and model of detector you are using?

Never ending hole 02 Jul 2014 07:04 #1338

• dwunder
A free one.

I have a Bounty Hunter Lone Star that I got with points from my credit card purchases. I know it is a low/intermediate model at best, but have had good luck with it in the few times I have been out. The first two times I found silver rings on both hunts.

Is it the quality of the metal detector to blame? I plan on upgrading sometime in the future, but for now this one does alright.

Daren

Never ending hole 02 Jul 2014 10:24 #1339

• Coin Magnet
  • Administrator
  • Keep Your Coil To The Soil
  • Thank you received: 7
I'm not sure about yours but some of the older models without a ground balance feature would give of false "air" signals. Or it could be "hot rocks" doing it. Either way I would mark those spots and when you upgrade detectors go back and see what happens. Also it could be you actually found a target and flipped it on it's edge making it hard to find. Could be on the side on the hole.

Never ending hole 02 Jul 2014 10:28 #1340

• dwunder
Thanks for the advice. It is reported to have an auto ground balance, so maybe it is just more off center than I think it is.