Home   Forums   Coin Prices   Gold & Silver Markets   Gold Weight Value Chart   Gear    Advertising   

Recent finds made by Coinhunting.Net Members.

Click HERE to register at Coinhunting.Net for access to our Members Only forums:

Members Forum, New Members Forum, Potential Coin Hunting Sites & Metal Detector Technology Forum.

Include your name, city, state and username preference.

(check your spam email folder for the confirmation email)

For the best price on your scrap gold and silver check out M&M Gold Exchange!

See what your finds are worth on eBay today. Click here.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Today's Hunt With Shawn!

Today's Hunt With Shawn! 30 Mar 2013 22:58 #321

• Coin Magnet
  • Administrator
  • Keep Your Coil To The Soil
  • Thank you received: 7
Shawn invited me to hunt an old fairgrounds he's been checking out for a few years. It's a tough one to find and we weren't really sure we had the right place.

After about 15 minutes of wandering around close to the car I got a nice 12-46 hit! Dug it up and saw it was a QUARTER! :) Turned out to be an 1875 P. SWEET! At that point I thought this was the place and it is LOADED. Shawn came over and we hunted around that spot for a few minutes then headed south out in to the open part of the field where the owner said the track was. After about an hour of no really old hits other than junk and a round lead ball we decided that this might not be the spot where the fairground sat and that the quarter was just a farmer dropped coin. I did manage to dig a worn 1917 Mercury Dime and Shawn found a 1941 wheatie but we figured these were not lost at the fair. We never could find a map that showed exactly where the fair was and there was a possibility it was 1/2 mile east of where we were so we decided to go hunt that field for a while.

At the second field we had a gentleman drive up and tell us we were at the wrong spot and he pointed us back to where we first started. We decided to hunt there a while anyway so after about 30 minutes in the next field with no hits we decided to go back to the first field and hunt some more.

I started the second time in the yard of the house and Shawn started in the field. I didn't find anything but pieces of aluminum siding and when I got to the edge of the yard by the field Shawn comes up holding out his had and showed me a sweet half dime he had just dug! At that time we pretty much knew we were on the old fair site!

In one fairly small spot we found the rest of the coins for the day. Probably all of the old ones were in an area 100' X 50'. Maybe where a food tent sat.

There should be a lot more here but it will take several hours of wandering around the 55 acres field to find the hot spots I think. Hopefully the farmer plants beans there this year and later this fall we can go back!

I found a copper ring and an 1883 Indian cent as well. All of the dimes are not mint marked.

1875P033013.jpg

DIMES033013.jpg
Last Edit: 30 Mar 2013 23:01 by Coin Magnet.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Today's Hunt With Shawn! 30 Mar 2013 23:36 #323

• MikeK
Very Nice finds Keith!!!!!! Very nice indeed :0) Congrats

Today's Hunt With Shawn! 31 Mar 2013 17:24 #327

• Rottonr
  • Expert Member
  • Thank you received: 2
What a loaded location!!! The feild of dreams, great looking coins for sure.

Today's Hunt With Shawn! 31 Mar 2013 21:43 #329

• Patrick
Absolutely fantastic finds and location. Good luck on your future hunts there. There is bound to me more and who knows - maybe a gold piece.

4 seateds in one day is pretty amazing!!

Today's Hunt With Shawn! 02 Apr 2013 08:13 #340

• Mark
Wow! Looks like that 1890 has some good detail! Greta finds, Keith!

Today's Hunt With Shawn! 03 Apr 2013 11:08 #350

Nice hunt !!
Northern Minnesota
Minelab Explorer SE
Garrett AT Pro

Today's Hunt With Shawn! 03 Apr 2013 14:56 #354

• Locator Larry
  • Thank you received: 1
Keeith looks like you and Shawn had a great hunt. Congrats on your seated silver. Did the farmer say if the field had ever been hunted ?

Today's Hunt With Shawn! 03 Apr 2013 20:16 #355

• Coin Magnet
  • Administrator
  • Keep Your Coil To The Soil
  • Thank you received: 7
Locator Larry wrote:
Keith looks like you and Shawn had a great hunt. Congrats on your seated silver. Did the farmer say if the field had ever been hunted ?

He said it never had been hunted before.

Today's Hunt With Shawn! 04 Apr 2013 11:39 #363

• shawnIN
  • Thank you received: 1
Nice finds Keith. A Seated Quarter is still one that has eluded me. Hopefully one of these days.
E-Trac, AT Pro! MXT Pro, X-1 Probe, DX-1 Probe, X-8, X-5, WOT, Killer Bee's Headphones

"ANY SILVER IS GOOD SILVER"

2014 Totals
Silvers:
Indians: 1
Wheaties:
"V", Buff, Shield Nickels:
Rings: