Home   Forums   Coin Prices   Gold & Silver Markets   Gold Weight Value Chart   Gear    Advertising   

Recent finds made by Coinhunting.Net Members.

Click HERE to register at Coinhunting.Net for access to our Members Only forums:

Members Forum, New Members Forum, Potential Coin Hunting Sites & Metal Detector Technology Forum.

Include your name, city, state and username preference.

(check your spam email folder for the confirmation email)

For the best price on your scrap gold and silver check out M&M Gold Exchange!

See what your finds are worth on eBay today. Click here.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Beach hunting?

Beach hunting? 17 Apr 2013 19:02 #424

• ironsight
  • Expert Member
  • Thank you received: 4
Any one here do any beach hunting?
Looking for any advice or pointers as i've never done beach hunting before.

Because of the trashy parks i hunt, my pattern typically discriminates pull tabs and also most gold.
I'd like the chance to find gold with a wide open pattern maybe with a little iron discrimination.
Bought a cheap scoop and hopefully gonna try it sometime this Spring and see what happens.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Beach hunting? 18 Apr 2013 10:50 #428

• Rottonr
  • Expert Member
  • Thank you received: 2
I beach hunt and have already been in the water this year. My advise is zero or just a tad for ferrios descrimiation and dig it all. Even dig those broken up worble sounds, I got a 33.5 gram 22k gold chain last your that sounded terrible!!!! When i am hunting bottle caps and pull tabs sound like gold rings, I get exsited when it hear those tones.

If your scoop does not hold up, and you are intrusted, take a look at the ones I build and sell. Not to make this a sales pitch but it is a longer handle for leverage and buildt like a back hole weighing 5.5lbs. I will post some pics of it this noon. (ok, it's kinda of a sales pitch)
Last Edit: 18 Apr 2013 10:51 by Rottonr.

Beach hunting? 18 Apr 2013 13:29 #429

• Rottonr
  • Expert Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Super heavy duty!!, made for both wet sand and dry sand!!! Locate your target, line up the scoop and push it with your foot. When comparing scoops be careful not to get a weak scoop that can not handle being pushed with your foot or even wet sand. This unit is over 51 inches long for great leverage to recover the DEEP old Treasure!!

This is a heavy duty Metal Detecting sand scoop made from heavy wall but light aluminum perfect for both dry sand and in the water. The scoop bucket is 6 inchs in diameter and 10 1/4 inches deep, the handle is made from heavy wall 1 3/4 aluminum 44 1/2 inches long. The hand grip is a soft finger design that also points in the direction the scoop opens for deeper water, and is removable. Over all length is about 51 inches. The holes are 5/8", large enough for sand and rocks to fall thru but small enough that a dime will not.

This is a home made unit welded by professional welder. A super heavy duty design with great welding. I did take scoops of this design out into the water for many many hours of detecting and every thing is perfect!!!! (check out the picture of where the handle is attached to the scoop, this will last forever)

The weight is 5.45 lbs.

Made in the USA.......

Beach hunting? 18 Apr 2013 18:50 #430

• ironsight
  • Expert Member
  • Thank you received: 4
Rottonr wrote:
Super heavy duty!!, made for both wet sand and dry sand!!! Locate your target, line up the scoop and push it with your foot. When comparing scoops be careful not to get a weak scoop that can not handle being pushed with your foot or even wet sand. This unit is over 51 inches long for great leverage to recover the DEEP old Treasure!!

This is a heavy duty Metal Detecting sand scoop made from heavy wall but light aluminum perfect for both dry sand and in the water. The scoop bucket is 6 inchs in diameter and 10 1/4 inches deep, the handle is made from heavy wall 1 3/4 aluminum 44 1/2 inches long. The hand grip is a soft finger design that also points in the direction the scoop opens for deeper water, and is removable. Over all length is about 51 inches. The holes are 5/8", large enough for sand and rocks to fall thru but small enough that a dime will not.

This is a home made unit welded by professional welder. A super heavy duty design with great welding. I did take scoops of this design out into the water for many many hours of detecting and every thing is perfect!!!! (check out the picture of where the handle is attached to the scoop, this will last forever)
The weight is 5.45 lbs.
Made in the USA.......

Thanks for the reply and info!
I purposely bought a cheap scoop because i don't have that much opportunity to search beaches and also might not like beach hunting. Nearest big beach is a couple hr. drive.
The one i bought looks similar to yours but without the re-enforced stem flat bar and the 45 deg strut.

If i get serious about beach hunting, i doubt that cheapie i bought will last a couple seasons if that much. Its also made out of aluminum with decent looking welds but with a cheezy stem which looks like it'll either bend in half or break off at the scoop weld sooner or later.

Your well built robust scoop looks like it might last a lifetime.
Tell you what, if i find a gold ring, i'll be hooked and definitely look into getting one of your scoops.

Now all i need is some decent weather as my detectors are growing cob webs. LOL