Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: NY Militia Relics - Buckle, Button

NY Militia Relics - Buckle, Button 21 May 2013 20:15 #506

• dirtdigger1581
  • Thank you received: 1
05/30/13 -

Went out to a school down the road last night and hunted an area that, last week, produced a KG III copper anda surprise 3-cent piece. Using the E-trac and 8x6 SEF coil I went very slowly over a trashy(iron infested) area and pulled out a few keepers. First two targets I dug in that area were the two .54 cal three ringers. Followed that up shortly after with a nice New York Officers Button. It's splitting the band on one side, and the shank is missing, but it's my first officer's button, so I'm very happy with it! And to top it all off, just before I left I got a sweet 11-40 signal on the E-trac. Depth gauge showed it at 4", but dug down to that depth and it was further down. Turned out the target was down between 8-9". I couldn't believe what I pulled out of the hole! I just found my first ever Civil War era belt buckle. The buckle is supposed to have the letters "SNY" on an oval plate, but the lead is flaking away. I had to get it home, clean it up, and it now sits nicely in a display case with its relatives from the same hunt. Last night was one hunt I won't soon forget. I'm still in shock!!! :woohoo:

Happy hunting everyone!

-Nate

05-20-13_group.jpg

05-20-13_Buckle_Collage.jpg

05-20-13_New_York_Button.jpg
The administrator has disabled public write access.

NY Militia Relics - Buckle, Button 21 May 2013 21:58 #508

• Coin Magnet
  • Administrator
  • Keep Your Coil To The Soil
  • Thank you received: 7
Awesome! Great relics....... :woohoo: Definitely ones for the display case. I have never found a CW buckle. CONGRATULATIONS!

NY Militia Relics - Buckle, Button 22 May 2013 19:49 #513

• ironsight
  • Expert Member
  • Thank you received: 4
Wow, great find.
One of my goals is to search a CW site.

What would 'SNY' signify?
I'd guess the 'NY' stood for New York?
Last Edit: 22 May 2013 19:50 by ironsight.

NY Militia Relics - Buckle, Button 22 May 2013 20:58 #515

• dirtdigger1581
  • Thank you received: 1
ironsight wrote:
Wow, great find.
One of my goals is to search a CW site.

What would 'SNY' signify?
I'd guess the 'NY' stood for New York?

Iron - I just happened to stumble across this site on a small school grounds down the road from me. Shocked the heck outta me to find something like this. The buckle is a New York Militia buckle and the "SNY" signifies State of New York. I had to consult my CW relic guru to get an answer on that as relics aren't my forte. He usually has the answer for me. I'm heading back next Sun/Mon so hopefully I'll have more to show soon.

NY Militia Relics - Buckle, Button 23 May 2013 06:56 #518

• Rottonr
  • Expert Member
  • Thank you received: 2
What finds!!!!! Keep hitting that location for years to come. Wow wow and wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!