Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Pineapple Training Grenade WWI....

Pineapple Training Grenade WWI.... 26 May 2013 21:49 #524

• Au Ranger
...Found in a WWI Training Camp.....

Nagol002.jpg
Last Edit: 27 May 2013 11:24 by Coin Magnet.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Pineapple Training Grenade WWI.... 26 May 2013 22:02 #525

• Au Ranger
.....more....

Nagol006.jpg

Nagol003.jpg

ArmyCamp001.jpg
Last Edit: 27 May 2013 11:25 by Coin Magnet.

Pineapple Training Grenade WWI.... 27 May 2013 11:26 #528

• Coin Magnet
  • Administrator
  • Keep Your Coil To The Soil
  • Thank you received: 7
Wow cool digs! What was your first thought when you figured out it was a grenade :ohmy:
Last Edit: 27 May 2013 11:26 by Coin Magnet.

Pineapple Training Grenade WWI.... 27 May 2013 11:51 #529

• Au Ranger
...I knew that the Grenades were in the area....my buddy found a few already.....I had to hunt in all metal and then check out the target size in the pin point mode...it was larger than the width of the coil that I was using... but in low discriminate was Not being detected.....just in wonder upon finding it....just figured that the soldiers of 1917 or so were no different than us in the sense....that they left a lot of these on the ground....Like I can hear them now saying....Sarge...who cares about picking all of them up....in the area also found the old tent stake pegs....again the soldiers neglected to pick them up...easier just to leave them in the ground...LOL...well glad that the soldiers left them ....just more for me to find......

Pineapple Training Grenade WWI.... 27 May 2013 12:44 #530

• Au Ranger
.....all of the long bullet shells were found in one concentrated area....think that I stumbled upon an old lost machine gun training nest....also found in the area an old Aviator type sunglasses made out of brass and glass that many of the military used....not sure if it is WWI...??..

Pineapple Training Grenade WWI.... 28 May 2013 09:41 #561

• ironsight
  • Expert Member
  • Thank you received: 4
Great relics of the past. Like what looks like a 1917 wheatie sort of verifying a WWI camp.

All those cartridge casings reminds me of 4-wheeling in the Southern Ca. desert years ago. We stumbled on an area with hundreds of spent 50 cal and even some spent cannon casings laying around all over the place.
Found out later from some locals that Patton's Army was rumored to train in that area for desert warfare before heading to N. Africa.

Be careful digging there. Some of that ordnance could still be live. I believe those old grenades used black powder which has a very very long shelf life.... even if wet then dried out again it could still be potent.

Pineapple Training Grenade WWI.... 28 May 2013 18:58 #563

• Au Ranger
...Thanks...me and my hunting partner have been very careful with all of the ordnance....most of them have a hole on top and I washed out all of the mud and whatever that may be inside the grenade....some grenades we were Not sure so we re-buried them close to where we found them...the old saying ..."Better safe than sorry".......is true....

Pineapple Training Grenade WWI.... 29 May 2013 06:31 #564

• Rottonr
  • Expert Member
  • Thank you received: 2
now that wuld be cool in the man cave display. Are you leaving it as is or are you going to clean it up? If you dicide to clean I would love to see a after pic.