Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Stubborn silver coin or hole in 4

Stubborn silver coin or hole in 4 01 Jun 2013 19:43 #571

• ironsight
  • Expert Member
  • Thank you received: 4
Has this happened to any of you?

Decided to hunt a local pounded park today between the storms where i've found some silver before.

Got a slightly iffy silver ID on the eTRAC. Conduct hovered around 45 +/- 1 but the ferrous reading bounced from 18 into the 20s but never seemed to hit ferrous 35. Got a good 2 way reading so decided to dig.
Since the depth indication was around 9 to 10 inches, i initially dug a good 6 inch hole.

Stuck the pin pointer in the hole...nothing.
Excavated another couple inches...broken whiskey bottle.

Now i was expecting the bottle cap but to my surprise i dug this up a couple inches deeper.

Just for kicks now, i stuck the pin pointer in the hole again which detected more metal in the hole.
Has to be the bottle cap. Wrong, it was an old corroded .22 spent cartridge case. That coupled with the nail had to be the silver reading i got. No more metal detected in the now foot deep hole so i filled it and neatly replaced the plug back. Good as new.

Now i normally re-sweep an abandoned or junk re-filled hole but the storm clouds were quickly approaching and it started to drizzle so i decided to leave. In fact i started to walk back to my Jeep.
Something compelled me to return and re-sweep the plug, rain or no rain.

Holy sh1t! :woohoo: I got a solid 2-way 12-46 near the edge of the plug where i piled the dirt from the hole AND the depth indication was on the surface. :ohmy:

My 5th silver coin of the season laying right on top of the turf.
Only thing i surmise is it came out with the initial dig pile and i missed it somehow with the pin pointer.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Stubborn silver coin or hole in 4 02 Jun 2013 05:07 #572

• Rottonr
  • Expert Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Great looking Merc and a even better leeson(s). I am glad you went back re-swept the hole and not giving up when the probe did not find any metal.

Last weekend I had close to the same thing, not a great signal but a signal good enough to dig, dug a deep plug swept and probed the hole but nothing there. Past experance had me scrap the sides of the hole and pry up a couple more inches of dirt and there was a Silver Washington quarter.

Stubborn silver coin or hole in 4 02 Jun 2013 09:50 #574

• ironsight
  • Expert Member
  • Thank you received: 4
Had a few like that too. They turned out to be either a deep coin on edge or usually a crusty corroded nail (near the coin) creating a phantom pinpoint tricking the detector.

No telling how many coins i've walked over or missed because of them dam rusty nails. :angry:

If a detector company comes out with a detector that can with 100% accuracy, ID iron from copper from silver, etc.... they would own the detector market.