Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 'Dryed up' park stubbornly gives up more!

'Dryed up' park stubbornly gives up more! 01 Aug 2013 21:53 #705

• ironsight
  • Expert Member
  • Thank you received: 4
Caution, long story! :lol:
Searched this old turn of the century park last Summer a lot and found a bunch of oldies there. Early this Spring i hit it again in the those hot areas and only found a couple more silvers, a few wheats and some clad. In fact, left there a couple times with nothing to show but a filled up junk pouch or some recently lost clads. I sort of considered the park dryed up now back then.

But lately i decided i needed a challenge. Thinking back, i found a lot of park silver where there were also a lot of nails. Old temporary carnival booths, concession stands, grand stands, etc.

So i was gonna search an area where where i did sweep over once or twice last Summer finding one silver and a bunch of clad as i remember. Problem was this area is heavily and i do mean heavily infested with deep iron, nails and bolts to be exact...had to use Auto+3 or reduced man. sens. and my NEL Sharpshooter coil. This was and is one of the worst iron infested sites i've ever encountered.

The strategy now was to use max sens. TTF, 4TF, etc. and dig every iffy deep target.
'Dam the torpedoes, full speed ahead' :lol:

I decided to use the NEL Tornado Coil for depth thinking i might of walked over any deep coins with that small coil last Summer.

Spent a couple days going over that area. All that deep iron coupled with the hard concrete like soil made it a real PITA to detect.
The good news... it was worth it, found 4 mercs, 2 indians, a bunch of wheats and a couple other items.
To make the digging worse, all the coins were DEEP, anywhere from 9" to a foot or more deep!
Pulled out many a corroded nail :angry: and had to abandon many holes too!

Anyhow here's the finds:

Mercs,

Couple Indians,

Wheats,

Token, old lipstick and a couple keys maybe from a jewelry box?

And last but least, just a few nails i saved,
The administrator has disabled public write access.

'Dryed up' park stubbornly gives up more! 02 Aug 2013 07:33 #706

• Coin Magnet
  • Administrator
  • Keep Your Coil To The Soil
  • Thank you received: 7
Sweet digs ironsight! Was the ground hard to dig? That is a spot you can go back to the rest of your life and find coins it sounds like.

We have a place similar to that one. One spot is a complete null 20' X 50' where they burnt down the grandstands around 1916. Has to be a ton of old coins in there!

'Dryed up' park stubbornly gives up more! 02 Aug 2013 10:57 #708

• ironsight
  • Expert Member
  • Thank you received: 4
Sweet digs ironsight! Was the ground hard to dig? That is a spot you can go back to the rest of your life and find coins it sounds like.
We have a place similar to that one. One spot is a complete null 20' X 50' where they burnt down the grandstands around 1916. Has to be a ton of old coins in there!

Thanks for the comment Coin Magnet!

Here's my initial assessment of the whole situation!
Yes, the ground was extremely hard to dig. Worse than dry clay. The deeper the more compacted it got.
Only thing i can figure, since the area is in sort of a valley tapering down to a swampy area at one side, sometime in the past an added layer of soil might of been graded&rolled over this area and then sod laid over that. All in an effort to keep the area from becoming swampy during heavy rains. Just a guess.
This specific area has also had a lot of humans trampling the ground. Recent soccer and baseball games and during WWII, carnivals, dances, political rallies, etc. Same pre-WWII.
Other areas of the park where i heavily searched last Summer and this Spring, the dirt has an easy digging soft loam consistency allowing for fast target recovery times.

Adding insult to injury, ALL those coins were arm aching DEEP, most at the threshold of detection with many of those deep nails spoofing iffy silver IDs... jumpy Ferrous readings down to the low 20s seldom to never approaching anywhere near Ferrous 35. Dug up a lot of nails over a foot deep!

Some of those coins also had jumpy Ferrous readings in the 20s also. Could be all that iron in the ground coupled with extreme depths reduced the detector's effective sensitivity and/or skewed ID accuracy?

Also, most of those coins did NOT have typical coin IDs. A lot of them had jumpy Ferrous readings in the 1 to 2 and beyond range maybe from nearby iron causing Ferrous ID wrap around? The decision to dig these targets was based on instinct after retrieving the first coin with one of those bizarre iffy IDs.
In the past i would of never dug those IDs but now i got to rethink all this.

I've got a hunch, there's a lot more older coins in this area but deeper. The mercs no doubt were dropped by the WWII era crowds but the Indians tell me there's an even deeper layer of older coins from earlier crowds. Deeper than than the detector can handle especially with all that deep iron.

I just might try going back out there with my NEL BIG coil and see what happens! I suspect all that iron and difficult pinpointing with a bigger coil would likely result in failure. Gotta at least try it though!

If detecting were easy, everybody would be doing it! :lol:

'Dryed up' park stubbornly gives up more! 02 Aug 2013 23:30 #713

• Patrick
Way to change your strategy and get some oldies!

'Dryed up' park stubbornly gives up more! 07 Aug 2013 06:43 #728

• Rottonr
  • Expert Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Your changes paid off for sure!!! I have a few spots where I go and dig it all, two of them are supposed to have lost rings, but they are close by. I cnat get myself to travel and then dig nothing but iron and pull tabs. My guess is that is my loss????

Great finds!!! (I am sure glad silver holds up better then copper)