Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 'Dryed up park' Followup FYI

'Dryed up park' Followup FYI 03 Aug 2013 21:44 #719

• ironsight
  • Expert Member
  • Thank you received: 4
Had to run some errands today in the town where the 'nail' park resides. Since i always haul my detector around in my Jeep, thought i'd give it a quick hour or so.

Turned up another merc and a wheat with an unreadable date. Both were 10 to 11 inches deep with the weird iffy jumpy 1-30/50 IDs. The IDs were 90 deg. consistent so i dug. Also dug up a bunch of iron with similar depths and IDs.
Some of you veteran eTRAC users probably know this already but after 2 years i'm still learning the machine. :S
Decided to do a quick field air test with that freshly liberated merc. At and below around 8 inches the ID was a solid 12-45. Above that height, the Ferrous started to jump but the Conduct more or less stayed in the silver ball park. However around 10 inches things started to happen. Ferrous started to jump wildly with Conductive starting to fluctuate also.
At around 11 inches, i'll be durn if the Ferrous number started to hit 1 and Conductive was all over the map but never falling below around 30, hitting 44 and even 50 occasionally. At a foot above the coin, the Ferrous stayed pretty much at a jumpy 1 with the Conductive number still jumping somewhere between 30 to 50.

I'm convinced these weird IDs is a result of the eTRAC's threshold of detection and yet still trying to say something of value might be down there.

This area of the park where i found the oldies the last few days is maybe only a 80 X 80 foot area at best. My theory now is there was likely and my research indicates carnivals were there during the WWII era. The hard to dig compacted soil might be due to heavy equipment installing the rides and the weight of the rides themselves. I remember carnival rides were a Quarter back in the 60s. The rides back in the 40s had to be a silver mercury dime.

Last Edit: 03 Aug 2013 21:57 by ironsight.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

'Dryed up park' Followup FYI 04 Aug 2013 09:15 #721

• Coin Magnet
  • Administrator
  • Keep Your Coil To The Soil
  • Thank you received: 7
I found the same thing on my e-trac. The really deep ones or the ones on edge that are deep will give readings that are different that the solid hit signals. Also in trash if I get a high tone I'll work it for a minute or two to see if I can get it to come in from other angles. I probably should dig more of those to get the nails out of the way actually. I love those kind of spots especially if they are close to home because you never know what you are going to pull out of them. In fact I have one I might hit today :)

'Dryed up park' Followup FYI 05 Aug 2013 11:22 #725

• ironsight
  • Expert Member
I found the same thing on my e-trac. The really deep ones or the ones on edge that are deep will give readings that are different that the solid hit signals. Also in trash if I get a high tone I'll work it for a minute or two to see if I can get it to come in from other angles. I probably should dig more of those to get the nails out of the way actually. I love those kind of spots especially if they are close to home because you never know what you are going to pull out of them. In fact I have one I might hit today

I think you're on to something.
This park has been pounded to death over the decades. Seen detectorists there a few times too. The easier to detect shallower coins could of been harvested in the past leaving the current deeper ones not to mention they're also in an iron minefield to the machines like the eTRAC.
And as you indicate, some maybe most of those deep coins were on edge.

I could swear i dug up 9 to 12 inch deep coins there last Summer with a lot more accurate and steadier IDs. Either the latest coins were on edge, my eTRAC needs attention or my memory is going!
Gonna try and be more careful excavating any future deep coins with those iffy IDs to see if they were indeed on edge.

'Dryed up park' Followup FYI 06 Aug 2013 20:18 #726

• ironsight
  • Expert Member
Searched the area again today for a couple hrs. It gave up another merc.- thats OK i'll take em one at a time :) ,a 1903 Indian, a 1928 Wheat and a badge of some kind. eTRAC settings; open mask, TTF, man. sens.28, deep off, high trash, fast recovery.

The merc. was around 8 to 9" and had a more or less jumpy silver ID. The Indian on the other hand had a jumpy and sometimes solid ID of 1-30 and was around 10". A month ago using my coin pattern, i would of walked right over that Indian...in fact i did! :(

The badge had a jumpy 11-30 ID at 7". Guessing its either a Scout or baseball team badge as regional minor league games were played in this park from the early to mid 1900s.

And of course the obligatory iron not to mention a couple 12+" holes i abandoned. :(

'Dryed up park' Followup FYI 07 Aug 2013 17:21 #731

• Rottonr
  • Expert Member
  • Thank you received: 2
More Great finds, WTG!!!!

I will dig most all signals that are deep just because Mama says yea never know what you'll get.

'Dryed up park' Followup FYI 07 Aug 2013 18:49 #733

• ironsight
  • Expert Member
..I will dig most all signals that are deep just because Mama says yea never know what you'll get.
You got a smart Mama! ;)

Yeah, been learning that the hard way lately! :pinch:
Got too spoiled digging up all the 'easy' oldies using my trusty coin pattern.
Guess, this here old dog can still learn some new tricks! :lol: