Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Piece of Automotive history

Piece of Automotive history 09 Aug 2013 20:30 #750

• ironsight
  • Expert Member
  • Thank you received: 4
Had a free afternoon today so i revisited the nearby 'dryed up nail' park which is only 40 min. from my property line. 3.5 hours is all i could take in the hot sun though.

Found my best historic artifact so far this season. An old i think key bob medallion from the old Chalmers Motor Co. who built Model T type cars in the early 1900s.
The ID was the usual semi jumpy but higher Conductive 1-42/48 coupled with the usual bottomed out depth indicator which i was sure was gonna be a Barber Quarter.
Pinpointer was silent in the 12+" hole. Just about ready to abandon when i decided to dig another couple inches. Pinpointer finally came alive to a clump of dirt at the bottom. Carefully broke the clump expecting to find a bright shiny silver Quarter but it was a corroded copper something. Maybe a large cent or something? Nope, it had a loop on top. Chucked it up as a religious medal and forgot about it til i got home and cleaned it up a little.

Here's a link for that old car company:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chalmers_Automobile

For the eTRAC guys FWIW; wide open mask, TTF, man. Sens26/28, hi trash, fast recovery, smooth response(nail areas), deep off and my NEL Tornado coil.

Also found a '44 merc, a few wheats and a '5' medal pin. That merc was an anomally in this area. It was a pleasant 7" deep and had a solid silver dime ID.

Here's the Chalmers Motor Co. Detroit Mich USA medallion. Found at about 14"

Here's what the Chalmers logo looked like in the early 1900s.

The stick is used to prop it up. Any ideas what this could be?

Some other unidentifiable stuff and junk. The large thimble thing is copper-no idea!
The cylindrical thing in the 1st pic has 'Avon' on the bottom. Looked like a bullet at first. Probably some kind of makeup thingy, the 2nd on i found in this park. Looks like it was gold plated at one time.
Last Edit: 12 Aug 2013 19:04 by ironsight. Reason: Retitled thread more appropriate
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Piece of Automotive history 13 Aug 2013 13:38 #761

• Rottonr
  • Expert Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Time to rename the park to Mother load Park. WTG with some great finds,... Again!!!

Piece of Automotive history 13 Aug 2013 21:15 #764

• ironsight
  • Expert Member
  • Thank you received: 4
Time to rename the park to Mother load Park....
LOL! Yeah this old park just when i think it dryed up is still giving up more albeit by using different settings, strategies and coils.
Found 37 silvers, 60 some wheats and other artifacts including WWII medals there last Summer. This park has been indeed a mother load of silver. Gotta be at least one gold coin hiding there too!

By the way, been puzzled why the latest batch of targets in this area are so dang deep compared to other areas where i found oldies in the past.
Last time there a city employee came by asking questions about getting into metal detecting as he seen me hunting a few times. He said he was just about sure some areas were indeed filled in sometime back in the 60s or 70s.

Makes sense, last year when i searched this specific area i found a lot of relatively shallow clad using auto sens. because of the unrelenting falsing, my tight coin pattern and small coil because of the dense iron. For the lack of a better term there is a 'coin-time gap' in this area somewhere between the 1960s and the late 40s or early 50s.

Some of them real deep oldies buried there might be lost forever.

Piece of Automotive history 13 Aug 2013 22:12 #765

• Coin Magnet
  • Administrator
  • Keep Your Coil To The Soil
  • Thank you received: 7
Neat fob! Never heard of that car company. Congrats on the deep oldies. Sometimes hunting soil layers can be fun like yours. I like the white rock driveways that have OLD pea gravel underneath then dirt under that. Tough to get through the white rock but once you do it's fun digging!