Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Almost skunked

Almost skunked 15 Aug 2013 20:43 #783

• ironsight
  • Expert Member
  • Thank you received: 4
Spent a few hours at the nail park today. Decided to sweep an adjacent area to where i've been finding those deep mercs. Spent a lot of time digging up deep nails and a deep coin sized piece of copper which i was sure was gonna be a wheatie or Indian. Even abandoned a few holes. All the while thinking yet again.. maybe this park is finally dryed up. :(

Finally got one of those deep 90 degree jumpy 1-35,40,50 signals with the depth indicator bottomed out.
Almost didn't dig because the target didn't pinpoint crispy like a coin. It pinpointed more like a long deep nail. Luckily i remembered some of those deep mercs also pin pointed that way.
Ended up digging up the only coin there today, a 1902-o tarnished Barber dime in really good condition 11-12 inches deep. This thing had to be dropped when relatively new.

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Almost skunked 15 Aug 2013 23:07 #784

• Coin Magnet
  • Administrator
  • Keep Your Coil To The Soil
  • Thank you received: 7
THAT is a GREAT looking coin! :woohoo: You have found the OLD dirt! YAY!!!

Almost skunked 16 Aug 2013 10:02 #787

• ironsight
  • Expert Member
  • Thank you received: 4
You have found the OLD dirt! YAY!!!

Yeah, i think you're right. It was found not too far from where i found a couple Indians but much further away from the merc area.
The only issue is that these coins are so @#^&*! deep! Really pushing the detector's envelope to its limit. To dig or not to dig is based on 50% iffy detector readings and 50% instinct.
Whats troubling is that some of them seemingly empty 12+ inch holes i've been abandoning might have oldies hiding a little deeper or off to the side instead of long bent corroded nails way off to the side spoofing a phantom pinpoint.
Whats needed at this place is a back hoe instead of a digging tool. :)

I gotta admit digging large one foot+ deep holes in a public area is a little on the paranoid side. :unsure: There's a balancing point or cut-off point as to how deep or large a hole to dig in these public places. Luckily though at this site, there's very few to sometimes no people milling around but there are houses across the street from this park.

Takes almost as much time placing those large plugs back good as new as digging the hole.

Almost skunked 16 Aug 2013 11:05 #795

• Rottonr
  • Expert Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Barber coins are a wonderfull design, seeing the "O" on the back makes them even better.

Almost skunked 17 Aug 2013 16:44 #797

• Patrick
Great coin! I have also discovered at a few places I am pretty much digging those deep iffy signals because most of the good signals are gone because most of them were dug by me!