Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: DIY Shovel Finds Silver 1st time out

DIY Shovel Finds Silver 1st time out 05 Sep 2013 20:08 #835

• ironsight
  • Expert Member
  • Thank you received: 4
Got done welding up, fabricating and painted my home brewed shovel a couple days ago. What better place to try it out than the nail park.
The new shovel effortlessly dug up a merc, a rosy silver dime and a couple wheats all deep as usual.

FWIW, here's some pics of my new shovel which has a 10" blade and a collapsable handle.

The administrator has disabled public write access.

DIY Shovel Finds Silver 1st time out 05 Sep 2013 22:29 #836

• Coin Magnet
  • Administrator
  • Keep Your Coil To The Soil
  • Thank you received: 7
I like it! How long / short can it go? Congrats on the shiney!

DIY Shovel Finds Silver 1st time out 06 Sep 2013 11:15 #837

• ironsight
  • Expert Member
  • Thank you received: 4
Thanks Coin Magnet!

Here's the dimensions:
Handle collapsed from the foot step to the ball top 19-1/2 inches
Handle extended " " 33 inches
Blade 4 X 10 inches, 14ga. tempered steel (see pic below)
Tubing main=1 inch OD, extension=3/4 inch X 1/16 inch steel tubing

Other details:
The lock lever position is adjustable by loosening the 8-32 screw and rotating the wrench. It takes only a half turn of the lever to go from lock to unlock. I welded a steel piston at the bottom end of the extension handle to prevent the tubing from collapsing due to over tightening the lock mechanism.

I threaded the end of the main tube for a 1 inch pipe fitting end cap which i turned down to reduce weight and look better. I borrowed the ball from my sheet metal bender handle.

I was gonna fabricate my own blade but couldn't easily find high carbon heavy gauge steel sheet. So i bought this trenching shovel for $14. It originally had a 16 inch long blade. Here's what it looks like after cutting off 10 inches of the blade. The weld beads were for practicing and adjusting my welder.

Here's a comparison to give an idea of the shovel with collapsed and fully extended handle though not to scale.

I looked for off the shelf detecting shovels but the blades were either too short or too long or too expensive. And i didn't want to be seen walking around in a park with a full blown shovel. With the collapsed handle and the green color, this is about as stealthy as a long handle park shovel can get. The handle can easily be collapsed and extended in a second. Should of done this last Winter! :dry:

DIY Shovel Finds Silver 1st time out 07 Sep 2013 15:45 #838

• Iowa Hawkeye
  • Thank you received: 3
Looks great! Hope it keeps digging those oldies for you...
Life is a coin, you can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once.