Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Today's Finds

Today's Finds 03 Nov 2014 22:48 #1387

• Coin Magnet
  • Administrator
  • Keep Your Coil To The Soil
  • Thank you received: 7
Jr and I had the day off so we went detecting at a couple of old fairgrounds. One was new to us and the other one was the Virgin Fairgrounds #2 from a few years back.

The first one dates back to at least 1875 but has had development take out 80% of the grounds and what is left is basically a play field for a school that was built in the 60s. The school has since been abandoned but there are still plenty of clad to be found even at depths of 8 inches unfortunately.

Jr scored first with an 1881 Indian then I came up with a 1902 Indian. Later Jr found an 1889 Indian. I ended up with 8 pieces of clad too. We decided to leave but come back and hunt some more later. There should be a couple of pieces of silver still there.

We only had a couple of hours of daylight left to hunt the old virgin Fairground but it was enough to pull out a few goodies! First I found an 1865 nickel three cent and followed it up with an 1858 flying eagle cent! Then Jr got a sweet deep signal that turned out to be an 1865 two cent. I followed that up with a nice deep high tone that I thought for sure was going to be a silver quarter but it ended up being a Bruce Civil War Token instead! My first one of that type. After that Jr got a shield nickel and a three ringer civil war bullet.

In all a pretty good day even if we didn't find any silver. I enjoyed getting out in the nice 62 degrees Indian Summer weather hunting with Austin.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Today's Finds 04 Nov 2014 20:34 #1389

• Coin Magnet
  • Administrator
  • Keep Your Coil To The Soil
  • Thank you received: 7
Well the Flying Eagle turned out to be an 1859 Indian after I got the crud off of it!

Today's Finds 05 Dec 2014 10:37 #1394

• Rottonr
  • Expert Member
  • Thank you received: 2
What a great day, father son and treasure. WTG!!!!

ps. needs pics