Home   Forums   Coin Prices   Gold & Silver Markets   Gold Weight Value Chart   Gear    Advertising   

Recent finds made by Coinhunting.Net Members.

Click HERE to register at Coinhunting.Net for access to our Members Only forums:

Members Forum, New Members Forum, Potential Coin Hunting Sites & Metal Detector Technology Forum.

Include your name, city, state and username preference.

(check your spam email folder for the confirmation email)

For the best price on your scrap gold and silver check out M&M Gold Exchange!

See what your finds are worth on eBay today. Click here.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 1607 James VI/James I coin weight!!!

1607 James VI/James I coin weight!!! 11 Jan 2013 18:33 #180

• dirtdigger1581
  • Thank you received: 1
I haven't been out metal detecting in just over a month. Due to the holidays and the family being sick I just haven't had the time to get out since the beginning of December. That being said, I headed out on Tuesday the 8th to a new field that I had just recently been given permission to hunt. It's a very large, roughly 200 acre, field that has seen revolutionary & civil war troop movement through it. I hoped it would hold a secret or two for me, and I wasn't disappointed.

Shortly after arriving in the field I had my first coin of the year. A 1910 wheat cent and I was very happy to add it to my collection. I didn't know I was about to find a piece of history 300 years older shortly thereafter. About 45 minutes after finding my first coin of the year I got nice 73/74 signal on my Teknetics T2 and pinpointed the signal. Four inches down is what the machine told me, so I dug my hole and plopped out the dirt. After scanning around a bit with my propointer, I was able to locate a square shaped token, or at least that's what I thought it was. The "token" had a circular wreath on it and inside the wreath was a crown with an "X" underneath it. It wasn't until last night, when I was able to clean it up a bit, that I discovered under the "X" was a letter "S". On the reverse of the coin I was able to clean the caked dirt enough to reveal what I thought was a cross, with a crown in the upper quadrant, and two shields in the side quadrants. In the right lighting at the bottom quadrant I saw a possible date of 16_7. This got my heart pumping, and I started taking photos.

I posted the photos up on here and other sites as well, hoping to get an ID on my "token". Within minutes I had people responding and helping me arrive to a conclusion. I had found a 1607 James VI/James I "Sword and Sceptre" coin weight. The sword and sceptre are crossed on the reverse side, with a crown in the upper quadrant, and two thistles on the sides. I owe a special thanks to the individuals who helped me ID my find. So, "Thank you very much" to: CRUSADER, Breezie, nhbenz, Battlecry4, Jeff in Georgia & Voriax!!! I'm always so impressed with the experts on these sites who are able to ID things that I can't even get a start on. Again, thank you!!!

I've included a picture of a 1602 "6 Scots" coin which was recognized in England and Wales as 10 shillings in 1603 when James VI became James I with the union of the Scotland and England crowns. That would be where the "X" comes from on the front side. This is an example of the coin that this weight would have been measured against.

I have a smile on my face a mile wide right now, and knowing that these weights were used to weigh and measure gold coins, you can bet your "you know what" I'll be back out there looking for them soon!

Thanks for looking and Happy Hunting!

-Nate

01-08-13coinweight.jpg

Square_thing3.jpg

Square_thing4.jpg

sword-and-sceptre1.jpg
The administrator has disabled public write access.

1607 James VI/James I coin weight!!! 12 Jan 2013 02:18 #181

• Coin Magnet
  • Administrator
  • Keep Your Coil To The Soil
  • Thank you received: 7
What a GREAT find! Who would use those back in those days anyway? And how did they get them? Did they have banks back then? That is for sure a museum piece. CONGRATULATIONS NATE!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

1607 James VI/James I coin weight!!! 13 Jan 2013 11:57 #182

• Iowa Hawkeye
  • Thank you received: 3
Nate, what a find and to think it has been buried there for all these years. Makes you think if you found one, there may be an excellent chance you will find more.
Nice job of cleaning it up as well. Did you use just water and a little soap or just water only?

Congratulations Nate, thanks for sharing.
Life is a coin, you can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once.

1607 James VI/James I coin weight!!! 13 Jan 2013 15:34 #184

• dirtdigger1581
Coin Magnet wrote:
What a GREAT find! Who would use those back in those days anyway? And how did they get them? Did they have banks back then? That is for sure a museum piece. CONGRATULATIONS NATE!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Thanks Keith! These were used to weigh a 6 Scots gold coin that were minted in Scotland. The coin it was measured against is the gold coin in the original post. I assume that this piece was probably dropped by the earliest settlers in this area. Jamestown is about 40 miles north of where I found this, and Jamestown was settled in 1607. So it makes me wonder if one of the original settlers from England may have had a house out there, or dropped it while passing through.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Coin Magnet

1607 James VI/James I coin weight!!! 13 Jan 2013 15:37 #185

• dirtdigger1581
Iowa Hawkeye wrote:
Nate, what a find and to think it has been buried there for all these years. Makes you think if you found one, there may be an excellent chance you will find more.
Nice job of cleaning it up as well. Did you use just water and a little soap or just water only?

Congratulations Nate, thanks for sharing.

As for cleaning I did what I could. The side with the crown and X looked like that when it came out of the ground. The side with the crossed swords was caked with dirt though. I couldn't make out anything on that side when I pulled it out. I used water and a toothbrush initially and scrubbed some off, but then I boiled it in water and picked at the dirt with a toothpick to reveal some of the details. Repeated that a few times and was able to get it to the condition you see now.

1607 James VI/James I coin weight!!! 14 Jan 2013 18:56 #187

Nice save Nate ... Once in a lifetime find !! Congrats !!
Northern Minnesota
Minelab Explorer SE
Garrett AT Pro