Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Coin ? Token ?

Coin ? Token ? 07 Jan 2014 00:23 #1078

• Megardawadd
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi I found this Token??metal detecting this past summer in an old amusement park site from the turn of the century. It's made from an Indian head penny as you can still see the remains of the wreath on the reverse. The obverse is counter stamped 1884 84 2 1/2 . The 84 stamp appears to be 34 but under higher magnification it is 84. There are 8 small holes through the coin around the edge,pretty close to being evenly spaced from each other near the rim.I weighed it on a postage meter and it came up .28 or 2.8 I can't remember now for certain.I have sent these same pictures to Mark Parker of Western & Eastern Treasures and he was unable to tell me what it is or used for.He sent them to a token collector with out any results also.There used to be a post office at the park near where I found it. Could it have been a scale weight? seems like a lot of work to make a weight though! Anyone out there know what it is and what it's for? Anybody found something like this?
Megardawadd

Token1884.jpg
Last Edit: 07 Jan 2014 23:16 by Coin Magnet.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Coin ? Token ? 07 Jan 2014 08:03 #1079

• Coin Magnet
  • Administrator
  • Keep Your Coil To The Soil
  • Thank you received: 7
Very interesting piece! Welcome to Coinhunting.Net!
Last Edit: 07 Jan 2014 23:17 by Coin Magnet.

Coin ? Token ? 07 Jan 2014 23:26 #1082

• Coin Magnet
  • Administrator
  • Keep Your Coil To The Soil
  • Thank you received: 7
It appears to be a home made 2 1/2 cent store token. It is interesting they went to all of the work to make it. It appears they have smoothed down both sides of the Indian cent then drilled 8 holes around the edge to make them stand out and then hand stamped each individual number and line. Maybe someone had a machine shop and didn't want to lay off the help so they had them make tokens. I can't imagine that would be a paying proposition. Normally those store tokens were made from premade blanks and a stamping machine the token company would sell the store owner from what I have heard.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Token_coin

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_War_token

www.chicagocoinclub.org/projects/PiN/cut.html

Coin ? Token ? 11 Jan 2014 12:02 #1086

• ironsight
  • Expert Member
  • Thank you received: 4
You mentioned a nearby Post Office and possibly a scale weight.
Yes, the holes could of been drilled to reduce its original weight to the desired balance weight.

But then why would they need to stamp a date on it?
Possibly to weigh letters with the current 1884 postage cost?
Or maybe something to do with postcard postage being only 2-1/2 cents or weighing 2-1/2 something back then?
For a precision balance weight, I would think the holes would not be symmetrical with identical diameters to lower the weight. Think of balancing holes on a flywheel for example.
Maybe the drill bit diameter was calibrated to precisely reduce the weight of a penny?
Are the all the holes drilled straight through or are some drilled partially?

Trending more towards some sort of token but like Coin Magnet said, why would someone go through all that trouble to make them? And use currency to make them not to mention it would be illegal?

Very interesting find. Keep us posted if you find out what it is.