Home   Articles   Links   Messages   Chat   Forums   Coin Shop   Detector Shop   Coin Prices   Clubs   University   Image Gallery   Classified Ads

Recent finds made by Coinhunting.Net Members!

Support Our Sponsors

Click Here For eBay! Belgium Ireland Netherlands Spain United Kingdom France Australia Italy Canada United States Of America      We're On Facebook! Follow us on Twitter! We are on MySpace! Add to My Yahoo!

We Have Started Our Move To The New Forum - Click HERE To Register At The NEW Coinhunting.Net!

(check your spam email folder for the confirmation email)

LINK TO NEW FORUM

Home arrow Set Your Home Page
Coinhunting.Net Forums
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
1789 GEORGE WASHINGTON INAUGURAL BUTTON
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: 1789 GEORGE WASHINGTON INAUGURAL BUTTON
HEAVYMETALNUT (User)
Platinum Member
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
1789 GEORGE WASHINGTON INAUGURAL BUTTON 3 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 23  

Logged Logged  

2010 LARGE COPPERS 31,SILVER 46,INDIAN HEADS 37
some photos of my finds.11 full pages of pictures
www.flickr.com/photos/heavymetalnut/
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
HEAVYMETALNUT (User)
Platinum Member
graphgraph
Re:1789 GEORGE WASHINGTON INAUGURAL BUTTON 3 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 23  

Logged Logged  

HEAVYMETALNUT (User)
Platinum Member
graphgraph

Logged Logged  

HEAVYMETALNUT (User)
Platinum Member
graphgraph

Logged Logged  

Silversurfer (User)
Platinum Member
graphgraph
Re:1789 GEORGE WASHINGTON INAUGURAL BUTTON 3 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 24  
What a find of a lifetime!

Logged Logged  
DaveMN (User)
Gold Member
graphgraph
Re:1789 GEORGE WASHINGTON INAUGURAL BUTTON 3 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 9  
I want to see the picture of you holding it again....I'm not sure if I believe you...lol.

Logged Logged  

Minelab Explorer SE Pro w/11" coil
Sunray X-5 and X-8 coils, 10X12 SEF
Sunray X-1 Probe
Garrett AT Pro, 8.5X11 and 5X8 coils
Garrett Pro-Pointer
HEAVYMETALNUT (User)
Platinum Member
graphgraph

Logged Logged  

zaxfire69 (User)
graphgraph
Re:1789 GEORGE WASHINGTON INAUGURAL BUTTON 3 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 4  
How am I suppose to win now. My Barber Half don't hold a candle to your GW Button. You posting this find inspired me to never give up on a site. When I saw this at the other forum I decided to go out to my" quote " hunted out site. That's when I dug the half. Congrats to you finding such an awesome piece of history.

Logged Logged  
HEAVYMETALNUT (User)
Platinum Member
graphgraph
zaxfire69 wrote:
How am I suppose to win now. My Barber Half don't hold a candle to your GW Button. You posting this find inspired me to never give up on a site. When I saw this at the other forum I decided to go out to my" quote " hunted out site. That's when I dug the half. Congrats to you finding such an awesome piece of history.
That's awesome ya went back! sorry to post against your barber half.maybe i can retract it and submit my 1787 Fugio instead?
what a beautiful half and congrats to you.
thank you for the kind words.
Dave

Logged Logged  

zaxfire69 (User)
graphgraph
Re:1789 GEORGE WASHINGTON INAUGURAL BUTTON 3 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 4  
Your Fugio is awesome. I tell you. You are in some great sites up there. Keep it up..Bet you find more.

Logged Logged  
HEAVYMETALNUT (User)
Platinum Member
graphgraph
i was being a wise guy about the fugio and i apologize.moderators changed the entries to include buttons and watch fobs which is cool.i hope everyone takes advantage of this would be so cool to see some different items on the banner

Logged Logged  

JoeRanger (User)
graphgraph
...HMN....I assume that button is worth 1000's of dollars??....Since the U.S. Govt. gave those away at the inaugural of George Washinton....there should be a lot of stats!!??....Such as what company actually made them..??.....How many was made??....Were they all distributed out during the inaugural or were a bunch wharehoused??.....I know someone here has researched this already...I would like to know the info too....thanks Joe

Logged Logged  

Minelab Sovereign XS, Garrett Sea Hunter P.I., A&H Pro-2, Custom Made spade digger, Custom Made Sand Scoop
HEAVYMETALNUT (User)
Platinum Member
graphgraph
JoeRanger wrote:
...HMN....I assume that button is worth 1000's of dollars??....Since the U.S. Govt. gave those away at the inaugural of George Washinton....there should be a lot of stats!!??....Such as what company actually made them..??.....How many was made??....Were they all distributed out during the inaugural or were a bunch wharehoused??.....I know someone here has researched this already...I would like to know the info too....thanks Joewell...i don't know all the answers but they were purchased by an individual not given away by the government.(in 1789 there wasn't much of a government)
it cost 6 months worth of wages to purchase a group of 4 buttons.
from what i was told there are only 75-80 known of my variety to exist.with shank and in dug condition... somewhere around $2,000 is the value.
i don't know what companies produced them since colonial buttons were seldomly back marked.
hope this helps you but,it's all i know concerning these buttons.
Dvae

Logged Logged  

JoeRanger (User)
graphgraph
......HMN.....Since a group of 4 buttons cost 6 months wage I assume that no poor or common man was the original owner of your button......I bet if you did some research and found out who owned the land in 1789 (where your Cellar Hole now exists.)..you can probably come up with a name ....NOW THAT WOULD BE EXCITING......ALSO IT WOULD ADD VALUE TO YOUR BUTTON IF YOU COULD SAY THAT IT WAS FOUND ON THE LAND OF SOME PROMINENT CITIZEN OF THE 1790'S....I have a button book and I am sure that some stats are in that book.....I will try to locate it......you may have heard of it .....its the Albert's book......CONGRATS AND GOOD LUCK ON YOUR FUTURE HUNTING.....Unless you need the money ....I would lock it up in a Safety Deposit Box and keep it for a good while......most treasures of that sort tend to double and triple in value in just a few years......Joe

Logged Logged  

Minelab Sovereign XS, Garrett Sea Hunter P.I., A&H Pro-2, Custom Made spade digger, Custom Made Sand Scoop
JoeRanger (User)
graphgraph
.....SO DAVE.....You was hunting that day in the woods all by yourself??....SO NO ONE HEARD YOU SCREAMING......LOL.....You probably scared and ran off all of the WildLife in that section of the forest.........LOL.....GOOD FOR YOU......Joe

Logged Logged  

HEAVYMETALNUT (User)
Platinum Member
graphgraph
JoeRanger wrote:
.....SO DAVE.....You was hunting that day in the woods all by yourself??....SO NO ONE HEARD YOU SCREAMING......LOL.....You probably scared and ran off all of the WildLife in that section of the forest.........LOL.....GOOD FOR YOU......Joe
nah i was with a buddy and yelled i got a GW! he mumbled yeah right like i was yankin his chain

Logged Logged  

HEAVYMETALNUT (User)
Platinum Member
graphgraph
Re:1789 GEORGE WASHINGTON INAUGURAL BUTTON 3 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 23  
JoeRanger wrote:
......HMN.....Since a group of 4 buttons cost 6 months wage I assume that no poor or common man was the original owner of your button......I bet if you did some research and found out who owned the land in 1789 (where your Cellar Hole now exists.)..you can probably come up with a name ....NOW THAT WOULD BE EXCITING......ALSO IT WOULD ADD VALUE TO YOUR BUTTON IF YOU COULD SAY THAT IT WAS FOUND ON THE LAND OF SOME PROMINENT CITIZEN OF THE 1790'S....I have a button book and I am sure that some stats are in that book.....I will try to locate it......you may have heard of it .....its the Albert's book......CONGRATS AND GOOD LUCK ON YOUR FUTURE HUNTING.....Unless you need the money ....I would lock it up in a Safety Deposit Box and keep it for a good while......most treasures of that sort tend to double and triple in value in just a few years......Joe
I do know the last name of the occupants of this homestead.unfortunatly thats all i can find about them

Logged Logged  

JoeRanger (User)
graphgraph
Re:1789 GEORGE WASHINGTON INAUGURAL BUTTON 3 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 24  
...SO DAVE.....What are you going to do with it??........Send it to a big New York City Auction House and sell it to the Highest Bidder??.....Put in your Safety Deposit Box??.....Put it under your Pillow??......or Bury it in your back yard and make yourself a Genuine Treasure Map??.......LOL....Seriously I had a friend who dug up a rare Coin/Medallion...he ended up sending it to a Big Auction House (in NYC?)...it sold for over $10,000.00.............Decisions.....Decisions...........Good Luck......Joe

Logged Logged  

JoeRanger (User)
graphgraph
Re:1789 GEORGE WASHINGTON INAUGURAL BUTTON 3 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 24  
...Dave ....if you a want to do research.....I think that there was a U.S. Census taken in 1790...if you can get a copy....it should report more info on your particular site.....Sounds like it was a huge Plantation....probably destroyed during the Civil War.....if you look at all of the relics taken from the same site they should represent some facts about the owner......Depends on how much research that you want to do.......but to me the discovery of the GW Button would just be the beginning of the journey or quest to discover its history.....like if it was so valuable and important....how come it ended up in a Cellar Hole??.....Mystery....Mystery.....LOL......Joe

Logged Logged  

HEAVYMETALNUT (User)
Platinum Member
graphgraph
Re:1789 GEORGE WASHINGTON INAUGURAL BUTTON 3 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 23  
JoeRanger wrote:
...Dave ....if you a want to do research.....I think that there was a U.S. Census taken in 1790...if you can get a copy....it should report more info on your particular site.....Sounds like it was a huge Plantation....probably destroyed during the Civil War.....if you look at all of the relics taken from the same site they should represent some facts about the owner......Depends on how much research that you want to do.......but to me the discovery of the GW Button would just be the beginning of the journey or quest to discover its history.....like if it was so valuable and important....how come it ended up in a Cellar Hole??.....Mystery....Mystery.....LOL......Joe
wasn't a huge plantation joe..just a homestead with a barn and some surrounding farm land.it was still lived at in 1868 according to the old map.
the button wasn't in the cellar hole itself but about 20 feet from it in the dirt driveway area where carriages and horses would come up to the house.besides the GW button only a few smaller flat buttons were found ,2 indian head pennies and a mercury dime.this site was pounded by other detectorists because there was iron relics piled up on stone walls around foundation.somebody just never checked the driveway area.how foolish of them.i'm not complaining though.their loss was my gain.
as far as the reason it was where it was? who knows? coulda popped off the guys jacket as he was climbing off horse and went into the snow and got pushed into the thawing mud below by a horse hoof?
like i always say...if finds could only talk

Logged Logged  

Go to top

Coinhunting.Net - Website for coin hunters

Support Coinhunting.Net - Click Here For eBay!